Vegetarianism is the practice of eating a plant-based diet of fruits, seeds, vegetables, nuts and beans. Vegetarians typically eat eggs, dairy products and other animal derivatives, while vegans steer completely clear of anything containing animal products. The commonality between the different levels of vegetarianism is that none eat the actual meat of an animal.
The vegetarian way of eating can be a very healthy style of eating. But the rules of healthy eating still apply. You still need to add variety with balance, and moderation.Because vegetarians don’t eat meat they often wonder if they are getting enough protein. Although you may not realize it, the average American consumes more protein than he actually needs for proper weight loss and body building . For the lacto-ovo vegetarian, dairy products are an excellent source of protein. Vegans on the other hand, get their protein from nuts, seeds, and soy products.
- Try to use a variety of plant protein sources at each meal like legumes, grain products, nuts, seeds, and vegetables.
- Use small amounts of nuts and seeds in dishes.
- Eat a wide variety of vegetables.
- Choose low fat and fat free varieties of milk and milk products and limit the use of eggs.
- Eat dishes made with soybean based products, like tofu and tempeh.
Making the switch to vegetarian is easier when you understand a vegetarian’s nutrition and learn the foods with good sources of vegetarian nutrition. To find out more about a vegetarian’s nutrition and learn the right foods to eat you can visit vegetarian’s nutrition.